When I posted about using coffee filters for snack time to reduce paper towel waste, Katherine F. sent me a lovely list of other ideas for making use of coffee filters. She keeps a running list in a computer file. When she hears of a good one, she adds it to her file.
Here is her list so far:
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.
2. Clean windows, mirrors, and chrome… Coffee filters are lint-free so they’ll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect China by separating your good dishes with a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
5. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.
6. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
7. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
8. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.
9. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
10. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.
11. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.
12. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. It soaks out all the grease.
13. Keep in the bathroom. They make great “razor nick fixers.”
14. As a sewing backing. Use a filter as an easy-to-tear backing for embroidering or appliquÃ©ing soft fabrics.
15. Put baking soda into a coffee filter, tie to make a small bag and insert into shoes or a closet to absorb or prevent odors.
16. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to put in soups and stews.
17. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your car.
18. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and clean up small counter spills.
19. Can use to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting a piece of fruit or veggies. Saves on having extra bowls to wash.
20. Use them to wrap Christmas ornaments for storage.
21. Use them to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls.
22. Use them to sprout seeds.. Simply dampen the coffee filter, place seeds inside, fold it and place it into a plastic baggie until they sprout.
23. Use coffee filters as blotting paper for pressed flowers. Place the flowers between two coffee filters and put the coffee filters in phone book.
My snack idea was #24. Tee-hee-hee!
Thank you, Katherine!
Do you have any uses for coffee filters that we can add to the list?
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.