As a former room mother and the wife of a high school band director, I can tell you… teachers do not get enough recognition for what they do. But often, buying gifts for a male teacher can be hard.
But what do you get for your child’s teacher… especially if that teacher is a man?
Well, since I am married to one… How about a list?
Great Gift Ideas for Male Teachers
Restaurant Gift Cards
I know that a lot of people hate to give Restaurant Gift Cards but it really is a gift that gives twice… once in a card and once as a night out with the spouse.
Again, this is a gift that gives twice because on a teacher’s budget, nights out do not come often enough. Visit Fandango to purchase gift cards and you can even choose to have them emailed.
Retail Gift Cards
My husband would freak out over a gift card to Best Buy or iTunes!
Masculine Pen Sets
Teachers always need pens and a manly ballpoint pen could get you bonus credit.
Creative Candy Gifts
Like the ones where the candy fits into the message. “Despite all the ‘Snickers,’ you are the best teacher in the ‘Milky Way.'”
Not the fru-fru flavors but the strong stuff:
If you really love your teacher or are looking for a class gift, invest in a desktop Keurig coffee maker with extra K-Cups.
Works well with the Joe mentioned above… but not just ANY coffee mug. Teachers get a ton of coffee cups. Your mug needs to stand out. So, personalize it with a photo of the class or make it match the subject he teaches.
Mixed nuts, summer sausage… you know… GUY food.
If nothing here strikes your fancy, consider the teacher’s specialty.
For instance, my husband is a band director because he loves music, especially jazz. So, biographies of popular jazz musicians would be a great idea.
A literature teacher might appreciate an autographed first edition from their favorite author.
The math teacher? A Vintage Chinese Wooden Bead Arithmetic Abacus.
The science teacher? How about a funny science-themed t-shirt.
Also, consider the needs within the classroom. My husband fell in love with his students when they noticed his desk chair was falling apart and bought him a new one for Christmas. If you are unsure of what the teacher might need, ask him. We start every year off asking our children’s teachers, “If you could add anything new to your classroom, what would it be?” Sometimes, the dreams are too expensive. Other times, I am surprised at how affordable the wishes are.
BAD Gift Ideas for Male Teachers
Now, there are things that are just not a good idea… EVER!
- Wall art ~ Unless it is something for the teacher’s office. (No offense intended to those who picked out the lovely, 2 foot by 6 foot, metal microphone we received one Christmas.)
- Furniture and Accessories for the Home ~ If he can use it at the school, perfect. If he is supposed to take it home, ask the wife. You would be stunned at the collection of saxophone-shaped items available for home decor. If you want to see it, come visit me but call ahead so I can pull this stuff from the attic.
- Girly gifts ~ Candles, picture frames, etc.
- Fru-fru crafts ~ Like the girly gifts above. They are MEN. Unless you find a kit for a science or instrument model your teacher can build himself, forget this idea.
- Cash ~ Can you say, “Bribe?” Seriously, in some areas, it is actually illegal to give a teacher a cash gift. Stick with the gift cards.
- Clothing ~ Yes, this includes ties. T-shirts are actually fun for most men (like my husband), but elf costumes are not.
Need more ideas?
Follow me on Pinterest:
Boost Your Income!
Sign up for the FREE email class and find your side hustle. Boost your income!