As a former room mother and the wife of a high school band director, I can tell you… teachers do not get enough recognition for what they do. So, don’t forget that Teacher’s Appreciation Week is May 7th through May 11th.
But what do you get for your child’s teacher… especially if that teacher is a male?
Well, since I am married to one… How about a list?
- Gourmet Coffee ~ Not the fru-fru flavors but the strong stuff.
- Coffee mugs ~ Work well with the Joe mentioned above.
- Food ~ Mixed nuts, summer sausage… you know… GUY food.
- Restaurant gift cards ~ I know that a lot of people hate to give these but it really is a gift that gives twice… once in a card and once as a night out with the spouse.
- Movie tickets ~ Again, this is a gift that gives twice because on a teacher’s budget, nights out do not come often enough.
- Retail gift cards ~ My husband would freak out over a gift card to Best Buy or iTunes!
- Pen sets ~ Teachers always need pens and a manly ballpoint pen could get you bonus credit.
- Board games ~ Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, or other games related to his field.
- Creative candy gifts ~ Like the ones where the candy fits into the message.
If nothing here strikes your fancy, consider the teacher’s specialty. For instance, my husband is a band director because he loves music, especially jazz. So, a biography of a popular jazz musician would be a great idea.
Now, there are things that are just not a good idea… EVER!
- Wall art ~ Unless it is something for the teacher’s office. (No offense intended to those who picked out the lovely, 2 foot tall, metal microphone we received last Christmas.)
- Girly gifts ~ Candles, picture frames, etc.
- Fru-fru crafts ~ Like the girly gifts above
- Cash ~ Can you say, “Bribe?”
- Clothing ~ Yes, this includes ties
Need more ideas? Check out my Gift Ideas board on Pinterest.