Lira is entering the fourth grade – can that be right? – and this was the first time I had no trouble selecting her 4th grade homeschool curriculum.
4th Grade Homeschool Language Arts Curriculum
This year, I am taking a different approach to Lira’s language arts studies. I do not think she has been reading enough and she definitely is struggling with creative writing. So we are going to spend more time in the books and working through unit studies based on that literature. I am excited about bring the literature to life with recipes, art, projects, and lapbooks.
I have included the book list under each resource we will be using. These are my Amazon affiliate links, but books that are available FREE for Kindle apps are marked.
Literature Unit Studies
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (free)
- Black Beauty (free)
- Charlotte’s Web
- The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle (free)
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, No 1)
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- Stuart Little
- Treasure Island: Literary Touchstone Edition
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Mary Poppins
- The Secret Garden (free)
- Peter Pan
- A Journey to the Centre of the Earth (free)
- Around the World in 80 Days
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- Pinocchio The Tale of a Puppet (free)
- The Swiss Family Robinson or, Adventures on a Desert Island (free)
- The Jungle Book (free)
- Because of Winn-Dixie
- Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog’s Tale
- Coyote School News
- Marven of the Great North Woods
- So You Want to Be President?
- Encantado: Pink Dolphin of the Amazon
- Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
- Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective
- Lost City: The Discovery of Machu Picchu
- Amelia And Eleanor Go For A Ride
- Moonwalk: The First Trip to the Moon
- The Indian in the Cupboard
- The Watsons Go to Birmingham–1963
- A Year Down Yonder
And, just in case Lira proves to be more advanced in creative writing than I think, I am also prepared with Write Shop Junior Teacher’s Guide, Book D and the Write Shop Junior Activity Pack w/Fold-N-Go Grammar, Book D.
Lira enjoys learning to write cursive and since her handwriting has always been a problem, I will be encouraging her to use the Fundanoodle I Can Write Cursive Writing Tablet.
4th Grade Math Homeschool Curriculum
We are sticking with Teaching Textbooks for two reasons:
- Lira can learn at a self-directed pace and does not need me standing over her for every problem. This gives me the confidence that she is learning and the flexibility to teach multiple children at one time.
- Lira still struggles with some concepts presented through Teaching Textbooks (such as word problems with real-life application and true/false) but she is improving. Since other math curriculum does not have these two elements, I wanted to stay with Teaching Textbooks.
4th Grade History & Science Curriculum
We just started Mystery of History and plan to continue through the book. I love the “open and go” aspect as well as the hands-on applications. To help supplement the book, I will also be using the [sc:BIP ] Volume 1 – Coloring Pages (Download) and the The Mystery of History Volume 1 Second Edition, Audio Book Set (10 Audio CDs)
I recently reviewed this science curriculum from Bright Ideas Press and love that Christian Kids Explore is easy to use (like Mystery of History) and does not require a tremendous amount of planning.
4th Grade Homeschool Electives
Not only will we be meeting for additional studies at our homeschool co-op each week, but we will also be working through the following studies:
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.