This summer, our family had fun with literature and used unit studies to expand each book into a complete education experience. One of the fun books we loved was A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon.
A Bad Case of Stripes Unit Study
In A Bad Case of Stripes, Camilla finds herself hiding what she truly loves in order to be what she thinks other people want her to be and as a result, contracts a very bizarre illness.
Through this list of links and ideas, you can build your own unit study based on this intriguing book.
Start by reading the book, A Bad Case of Stripes. Then, discuss the characters, settings, problem, solution, and main idea of the book. Expand your review of the book with these resources:
- Basic Language Arts Printables
- A Bad Case of Stripes Inspired Printables (below)
- Decorate a paper doll like Camilla
- Make stripes over a black and white picture of your child like The Chaos and the Clutter
- Create a visual illusion from stripes
- Trace a life-size Camilla and decorate her with stripes like Make and Takes
- Draw striped self portraits like The Modern Art Smock
- Use dry lima beans as a manipulative for counting, grouping, and more.
- Play a game and use lima beans to keep score.
Theme: lima beans
- Have a lima bean dissection and label the part of a bean.
- Build a paper lima bean seed.
- Sprout a bean in a plastic bag.
- Examine different kinds of seeds.
- Watch a rainbow in milk (seen above) like The Artful Parent
- Make a rainbow in a jar like Playdough to Plato
- Create rainbow prisms like Buggy and Buddy
- Serve lima beans for dinner
- Make Lima Bean Dip from Kitchen Counter Chronicles
Theme: Be yourself
- Read verses about being yourself.
- Review a mini-object lesson about self-esteem.
- Use these four self-esteem boosting activities.
- Review the God Made Me lesson at DLTK.
Theme: Respect others
- Learn about respect (Focus on the Family lesson plan).
- Review a mini-object lesson about respect.
- Use the discussion questions about respecting others.
More helpful resources for A Bad Case of the Stripes
Books for teaching self-esteem
Movies with parallel themes
Character Studies and resources
- Surround your child with edifying Scripture using Promise Packs from ScriptureArt. Use discount code MeetPenny25 to save 25%.
- Reward your children with Character Badges from The Modest Mom.
A Bad Case of Stripes Literacy Pack
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.