Today, I am happy to introduce Amanda from The Refurbished Home because I am NOT a crafty person and SHE IS! Check out this adorable DIY Stenciled St. Patrick’s Day t-shirt idea…
My son and I love doing projects together, and one day, while wandering on Pinterest, we fell in love with this heart stamped tote from Clumsy Crafter. With just a little bit of tweaking we came up with a slightly more kid-friendly method and created this fun Shamrock Shirt.
You will need:
- Green fabric paint
- Freezer paper
- Stencil (Free Printable Below)
- Small dish for paint (you may want to use something disposable)
- Cotton swabs
Begin by cutting out your stencil. Tape your printed shamrock onto freezer paper (not the shiny side) and place both over a cutting mat. Use an X-acto knife to cut out the shapes.
Cut out the letters first.
Take special care to not remove the middle of the U or the C
Then cut out the shamrock shape.
Next, iron the freezer paper stencil onto the shirt. Be sure to thoroughly attach the edges.
Then slide some more freezer paper into the shirt so that your paint will not bleed through to the back. I actually used a file folder… don’t ask because I have no idea why.
Now it’s time for the kids to get involved! Put some paint into a small dish (about a nickel size) and give the kids a cotton swab.
Apply the paint by making dots with the cotton swab. Make sure to completely fill in the letters, and to thoroughly outline the Shamrock for the best effect.
When you are finished it should look something like this. My paint said to allow 4 hours drying time before touching. Follow the instructions on your specific brand of paint.
After the proper drying time, peel away the freezer paper stencil.
Voila! And your kids will LOVE getting to tell everyone that they made their own shirt. I know mine sure has.
Thanks for letting me stop by. Come take a peek at The Refurbished Home to find more fun projects for the kids!
Free Printable Shamrock Stencil
To receive the lucky shamrock stencil, please complete the form below.
More St’ Patrick’s Day Fun
- Coffee Filter Shamrocks – a simple but festive craft the kids will love.
- Host a Leprechaun Lunch – have lunch with leprechaun style.
- Printable St Patrick’s Day Jokes for Kids – keep them giggling all day long.
- St Patrick’s Day Party Printables – host a party for the children and decorate with these free printables.
- 50+ Shamrock Crafts for Kids – check out tons of shamrock craft ideas to keep the kids busy.
- Leprechaun Trap Ideas and Mischief for Kids – what’s St Patrick’s Day without a little mischief?
Amanda Carter is a stay-at-home wife and mother to one amazing little guy. She loves to build, create, craft and cook, and can always be found in the middle of a project… or ten. She loves to share her ideas and stories on her blog The Refurbished Home, and you can follow her on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Boost Your Income!
Sign up for the FREE email class and find your side hustle. Boost your income!