My DIY bathroom remodel should have been finished 6 months ago. But life happens. So here we are… several months after I started (and one week after we officially put our home on the market), and the powder room off our kitchen is finally completed.
Before you can appreciate how these simple and inexpensive changes totally transformed our half bathroom, you have to see where we started.
I warn you… it’s red.
We changed the flooring right after we moved in over ten years ago. The original floor was a beige linoleum but I installed peel and stick vinyl tiles that look like grouted stone. We totally fooled our realtor with the floors.
Ten years ago, it seemed like a good idea to paint the bathroom walls red. I wanted a dramatic impact to be a backdrop for the pedestal sink.
Overtime, I grew tired of the red (and the white that seemed to bleed through streaks here and there), but I was never motivated to do anything about it because I knew the red was going to be difficult to cover.
Thank heavens for Sherwin-Williams!
I visited our local showroom and spoke with an extremely knowledgeable associate. I showed him pictures of the bathroom and he showed me the paint I needed… SuperPaint… and I mean to tell you that it is SUPER. They were very gracious to supply us with a couple of gallons of Harmony but I am in love with the SuperPaint that we bought.
One coat was all it took and the red was gone!
With the red paint successfully covered, I was more inspired. Our friends at Moen were sweet to send us a lovely new faucet that was much more appropriate for the curves of the pedestal sink.
Replacing the builders-grade faucet made a tremendous difference in the bathroom, but it was practical too. The Ashville brushed nickel faucet by Moen is spot resistant and has Microban® technology that is always working with antimicrobial protection that won’t wash off or wear away.
With the faucet updated and the walls painted, I noticed the places in our mirror where the silver nitrate was coming off the back.
I could have replaced the mirror or removed it completely to install a framed mirror… but those things are expensive!
So, I browsed Pinterest and discovered several people were tackling the DIY framed mirror project by using crown moulding.
The finished project cost less than $200 (including what we would have paid for the sponsored products) but the difference is amazing.
Quick list of materials:
- Flooring – peel and stick vinyl tile (similar to the StainMaster groutable vinyl tile at Lowes)
- Wall color – Sand Dollar in SuperPaint by Sherwin-Williams
- Faucet – Ashville brushed nickel faucet by Moen
- Framed mirror – made with door casing from Lowes
- Hand towels – Better Homes and Gardens Extra Absorbent Bath Towel Collection from Walmart
- Tumbler – Better Homes and Gardens Reactive Glaze Ceramic Tumbler from Walmart (with floral steams from Walmart)
- Soap Pump – Better Homes and Gardens Metal Collection – Short Lotion/Soap Pump from Walmart
- Rug – Mainstays Floral Printed Nylon Rug, Multi-Color from Walmart
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.