Time to get back to school and I have finally made my choices for our 3rd grade homeschool curriculum,
While I am struggling to believe that Franc will be a 3rd grader (where does the time go!?!), I know he is fully prepared and perhaps even a little advanced.
As I mentioned when I shared our 6th grade homeschool curriculum, I love Total Language Plus, which I found as a Teach Them Diligently Convention. I wanted a literature-inspired language arts program and this is perfect.
This year, Franc will use several of their studies including:
He will also study the following books using the linked resources:
- Pinocchio The Tale of a Puppet (Currclick)
- The Swiss Family Robinson or, Adventures on a Desert Island (Currclick)
- The Jungle Book (Currclick)
- Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog’s Tale (GHTeachers)
- So You Want to Be President? (GHTeachers)
- Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (GHTeachers)
From our literature studies, I can plug in spelling words into Spelling City, for vocabulary and spelling. Friends recommended the website and they use the free version to access spelling lists, tests, and more. Because their children seem to enjoy the games and really be learning, I decided we would try it too but I did upgrade for the paid version.
For the entire family, we will be combining Drive Thru History with additional reading and their free discussion guides.
Drive Thru History: American History Series, All Episodes 1-12 in Set, is a DVD-based curriculum that we can enjoy together as a family.
We will supplement the Drive Thru History studies with hands-on projects and living books. (I am not a Charlotte Mason homeschooler but on some days, I get close.)
Our science studies at home will be through Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Botany from the Young Explorer Series.
In addition to creating my own powerpoint lessons, we will use Apologia Exploring Creation With Botany Lapbook Package (Lessons 1-13) from Knowledge Box Central to create lap books instead of the Exploring Creation with Botany Junior Notebooking Journal… maybe. I really love the notebooking journals but I am not sure if the Junior version would be better for Lira than the regular Exploring Creation with Botany Notebooking Journal.
>>SEE the Apologia Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology Unit Study Page for another great science curriculum recommendation.<<
In math, Franc is slightly ahead of grade-level and will be using Teaching Textbooks: Math 4 Kit (Windows & Macintosh).
As I previously mentioned, my children really enjoy Teaching Textbooks and as long as I am observant and willing to pause when they do not understand a concept to pull additional worksheets from the internet, they do very well.
More homeschool curriculum recommendations
I post about out homeschool curriculum choices every year. Here are some additional posts to browse:
- Dollar Store Preschool Homeschool Curriculum
- Kindergarten Homeschool Curriculum
- 2nd Grade (or is it 3rd?) Homeschool Curriculum
- God’s Little Explorers Preschool Homeschool Curriculum
- Preschool and Little Learner Curriculum Suggestions
- 2nd Grade Homeschool Curriculum
- 4th Grade Homeschool Curriculum
- Our 1st Grade Homeschool Curriculum Choices 2012-2013
- Our 3rd Grade Homeschool Curriculum Choices 2012-2013
- 5th Grade Homeschool Language Arts and Math
- 5th Grade Homeschool Social Studies and History
Boost Your Income!
Sign up for the FREE email class and find your side hustle. Boost your income!