Slow cooker chicken thighs offer a simple solution to a big dilemma when paired with root vegetables in this hearty supper.
During the fall and winter months when the peak flavors in the produce section are root vegetables, I often struggle with what to cook. Oddly enough, I have that same dilemma when holding a package of chicken thighs.
The easiest solution? Cook the chicken thighs and root vegetables together!
And can we talk for a minute about how inexpensive this meal is? Chicken thighs are always cheap, and I even saw a special offer available through my iBotta app. Then, when you add in the price of the root vegetables – veggies like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, beets – you can feed a large family for less than $10!
As this simmers in the slow cooker all day, your home is wrapped in a delicious aroma that makes you yearn for a warm blanket by the fire while the leaves flitter from the trees in hues of red, gold, and orange.
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Root Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Family pack chicken thighs
- 2 russet potatoes cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes cubed
- 5 carrots sliced or diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine the dried oregano, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker's crock. Add a layer of chicken thighs, packing tightly. Sprinkle with about 1/4 of the seasoning blend. Add another layer of chicken (depending on the size of your slow cooker) and sprinkle with seasoning and half of the garlic.
- Place vegetables over the chicken and toss gently with remaining seasoning and garlic. Top with the bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Weekend Potluck #185
Insane Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake by Mirlandra’s Kitchen
German Chocolate Pie by Cooking with K
Apple Butter Bundt Cake by Served Up with Love
Your hostesses ~
- The Country Cook~ Brandie
- Sunflower Supper Club ~ Kim & Julie
- The Better Baker ~ Marsha
- Frugal Family Favorites ~ Tabitha
- Sweet Little Bluebird~ Mary
Remember that when you link up, it shows on all FIVE blogs. Plus…
We TWEET. We PIN. We LIKE.
If you wish to be a featured recipe or for us to promote your recipe either on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, you MUST follow these instructions.
- Please link up to your exact post and not the main page to your blog.
- LINK BACK HERE from your post so that others can find the fun.
When you are kind enough to follow our guidelines, we work hard to get you as much exposure as possible so that your time here is well invested. We want this to be a fun and rewarding experience for everyone!
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.