Do you remember making simple homemade Easter baskets when you were a child? Weaving strawberry baskets, cutting down milk jugs, etc…
I remember making all those variations!
I wanted to do something similar with my kids but a little different, and a little more “fancy” So I came up with this simple but pretty upcycled Easter basket from a tissue box perfect for egg hunting or even giving an Easter gift to teachers and friends.
We went with a natural brown color but you could do rainbow colors for a stained glass look or any color you like.
- Empty tissue box or milk carton
- tissue paper
- ¼” fabric ribbon
- school glue
- single hole punch
- foam brush
- optional- stickers, silk flowers ,other decorative accents
Cut of the top of tissue box (or milk carton to desired height, half is a good size).
Mix 1 T. school glue with a couple tsp. of water to thin slightly.
Brush glue generously on bottom of box.
Set box in the center of an opened sheet of tissue paper, pressing button down.
Spread glue mixture up the sides, then bring tissue paper up all the way around and smooth onto glued sides. Continue on the inside if you like to finish it off.
Cut off excess paper on the corners.
Make more glue if needed then repeat 2-3 more times, layering tissue until desired coverage is reached, painting with glue mixture each time.
Allow to dry completely.
Punch a hole in each side of your box for handles.
Thread ribbon through the hole, knotting inside- I needed to knot several times to make it large enough that it wouldn’t pop back through the hole.
Glue ribbon around the center and add silk or paper flowers, stickers, or other decorative elements if you like to finish off your basket.
This project is easy enough for even toddlers to complete with mom’s help!
Pile high with sweets and small toys for a child’s special Easter surprise or add homemade goodies to give to a teacher.
More DIY Easter Basket Ideas
- Fun A Day has a cute idea combining ribbon with an egg container for a homemade Easter basket kids can make.
- Weave your own with felt using this DIY Easter Basket tutorial from One Charming Party.
- All You has a tutorial for the classic Strawberry Easter Basket. Do they even sell strawberries in those little green baskets anymore?
- Upcycle a brown grocery bag with this elegant DIY Easter Basket tutorial by Lia Griffith. Might not be practical for egg hunting but perfect for a centerpiece.
- Craft a paper plate Easter Basket like Hip2Save. Such a fun project for the kids!
- Make an adorable tutu Easter basket like Paging Fun Mums using tulle and a wire basket (or a plastic mesh basket from the dollar store).
- Visit Northstory for a simple Upcycled Easter Basket using a coffee can.
Also check out my Easter board on Pinterest.
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.