Need a way to entice your student to read this summer? Play a game of Summer Reading BINGO! Agree on a reward for any completed row, column, or diagonal and then a super treat if they finish the entire card.
Each list is balanced with a mix of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. I also tried to include classics that would interest boys and girls.
While I tried to keep these lists free of anything that would not be welcomed in a conservative, Christian home, I have not read every one of these books and could have made a mistake. Just in case, I have a blank printable available so you can make your own list.
So, do you want to know what’s on the recommended summer reading list for each grade level?
1st – 2nd Grade Recommended Reading List
- Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face: And Other Poems: Some of the Best of Jack Prelutsky
- The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, No. 1) (Boxcar Children Mysteries)
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes
- Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night
- Who Was Anne Frank?
- If You Lived Here: Houses of the World
- Doctor De Soto
- The Story of Ferdinand: 75th Anniversary Edition
- A Little Book of Sloth
- James and the Giant Peach
- Forest Has a Song: Poems
- The Dyno-Mite Dog Show (The Secret Knock Club series)
- Helen’s Big World: The Life of Helen Keller
- and ten more…
Summer Reading Bingo for 1st – 2nd grades
Subscribe to get the Recommended Summer Reading Bingo printable for 1st-2nd grades:
3rd – 4th Grade Recommended Reading List
- From Sea to Shining Sea for Young Readers: 1787-1837 (Discovering God’s Plan for America)
- The Candymakers
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Winnie the Pooh
- Farmer Boy (Little House)
- Basic Drawing Made Amazingly Easy
- Hand in Hand: An American History Through Poetry
- Because of Winn-Dixie Signature Edition
- Sarah, Plain and Tall
- Charlotte’s Web
- So You Want to Be President?
- The Watsons Go to Birmingham–1963
- Worst-Case Scenario Ultimate Adventure: Everest: You Decide How to Survive!
- and ten more…
Summer Reading Bingo for 3rd – 4th grades
Subscribe to get the Recommended Summer Reading Bingo printable for 3rd-4th grades:
5th – 6th Grade Recommended Reading List
- Heart of a Samurai
- A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
- Knock at a Star: A Child’s Introduction to Poetry
- Bomb: The Race to Build–and Steal–the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon (Newbery Honor Book)
- Everything on a Waffle
- In Flanders Fields: The Story of the Poem by John McCrae
- Where the Red Fern Grows: Mcdougal Littell Literature Connections
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out
- Walking with Henry: The Life and Works of Henry David Thoreau (Images of Conservationists)
- No Talking
- Moon Over Manifest
- All Creatures Great and Small
- and ten more…
Summer Reading Bingo for 5th – 6th grades
Subscribe to get the Recommended Summer Reading Bingo printable for 5th-6th grades:
Make your own Summer Reading Bingo
Summer Reading Bingo – Blank to make your own!
Subscribe to get a BLANK summer reading bingo card and personalize it with books from your child’s summer reading list:
Boost Your Income!
Sign up for the FREE email class and find your side hustle. Boost your income!