Safe kids do not happen by accident. This list of resources will empower parents to teach children the safety rules they need to grow in a secure environment.
It’s easy for me as a parent to let safety lesson plans slide, assuming that my children are incredibly smart or super aware of the dangers that lurk on the internet, in our kitchen, and even on vacation.
But, the reality is, they only know as much as: 1) they are told or 2) they experience.
I would much rather teach my children safety habits than have them experience a situation where they need to know these safety rules but are unprepared.
Ignorance will not keep kids safe. By equipping our children with knowledge and awareness, we can lessen the likelihood of a tragedy.
The Parent’s Resource Guide to Safe Kids
Stranger Danger (or Tricky People)
I first read about teaching children the concept of “tricky people” in a Facebook post. Ever since, I prefer talking to my children about staying away from adults that would try to trick kids instead of “stranger danger.” However, whichever concept you prefer, teach your child to be wise around the lures of predators.
- Tricky People Lessons from Checklist Mommy
- Teaching Your Child about Stranger Safety from Simple at Home
- 5 Safety Skills to Teach Your Child Today from Beauty in the Mess
- Broaching The Topic of Stranger The Danger with Children from Emmy’s Mummy and Harry’s Too
- Stranger Danger Lesson Plans from Officer Phil
Internet Safety for Kids
The internet was not available for public use when I was growing up. So it’s easy for me to disregard the dangers for a generation of children growing up in the technology age. That’s all the more reason why I needed to review these lessons and create a plan to educate my children in internet safety.
- Internet Homeschooling Safety with FREE Printable! from Blessed Beyond A Doubt
- 6 Things We Are Doing to Ensure Our Daughters Are Cyber-Safe from What’s Up Fagans?
- Top Computer Safety Tips For Parents: Keeping Kids Safe Online from STEAM Powered Family
- Set Cell Phone Guidelines w/ a Parent Child Cell Phone Agreement from Two Kids and A Coupon
Kitchen or Home Safety Rules
The home is a hot-bed of potential dangers. From the driveway to the kitchen sink. From bedroom to bathroom. Never assume your children know the dangers in cabinets, closets, and storage boxes. Be prompt to teach them safety around your home.
- Hot Car Lessons for Kids from Meet Penny
- Keeping Your Children Safe from Hidden Toxic Metals! from Blessed Beyond A Doubt
- 10 Things You Need To Do Now To Prepare A Family Emergency Kit from STEAM Powered Family
- Preventing Choking in Babies and Toddlers with Older Siblings from Living Montessori Now
- Laundry Room Tips to Keep Kids Safe from Mommy’s Bundle
- Toy Safety Checklist for Little Ones from The Jenny Evolution
- Make Your Own First Aid Kit from Coffee with Us 3
Fire Safety for Kids
Keep kids safe by teaching them how to respond in case of fire.
In early 2017, I lost a great friend when she and her family succumbed to an overnight house fire. Their home was relatively new. No one expected it. That’s the thing about tragedy. It cannot be predicted. So prepare your children… just in case.
- Fire Safety Awareness for Kids from Meet Penny
- Free Fire Fighter Printable Pack! from The Relaxed Homeschool
- Fire Safety Smart: Fire Safety Printables for Kids from Look! We’re Learning
- Free Fire Safety Posters with a LEGO® Theme from Encouraging Moms at Home
- Save Lives with This Simple Fire Safety Experiment from Mama Smiles
When the family is on the road, safety can seem less important because vacation is supposed to be fun. However, traveling can present different types of danger.
- Car and Bus Safety from Scholastic
- Hotel Safety Tips for Families from La Jolla Mom
- Keeping Your Child Safe at Disney Park from Adventures in Familyhood
- 7 Shockingly Common Car Seat Mistakes from The Soccer Mom Blog
- Bus Safety Lessons from Child Development Institute
Recreational Safety Tips
When the weather beckons for outdoor recreation, children can often forget the dangers that lurk under the sun’s rays. These resources guide parents through teaching children safety rules for fireworks, bikes, and more.
- Gun Safety Lesson from Meet Penny
- Fireworks Safety for Families! from Blessed Beyond A Doubt
- Simple Summer Safety Tips for Parents from Simple at Home
- Bike Safety and Kids – Teaching Hand Signals from Kitchen Encounter Chronicles
- 5 Tips to Protect Baby’s Skin in the Sun from Mommy’s Bundle
- Teach your child to be snake safe from Mother Natures
- Football Safety Tips from The Jenny Evolution
- Sun Safety Coloring Picture from eparenting.co.uk
Water Safety Rules
Living on the Gulf Coast, my children have grown up in the water. But, we still refresh the rules every year. Even so, water safety isn’t just for summer time. If there is a pool in the neighborhood (especially in your backyard), water safety are always needed.
- How to Spot a Rip Current: Beach Flag Awareness from Meet Penny
- Summer Pool Safety Tips to Keep Kids Safe from Mama Smiles
- 4 Easy Steps for Introducing Your Child to the Pool from Mommy’s Bundle
- 3 Life Saving Things that Parents Can Do to Prevent Drowning from Kori at Home
- Summer Water Safety: A Must Read for all Parents! from Edventures with Kids
- Toddlers and Pool Safety from My Mommy World
- 11 Of The Best Tips for Beach Safety – Family Vacations from Natural Beach Living
Boost Your Income!
Sign up for the FREE email class and find your side hustle. Boost your income!