Believe it or not, there are some simple ways to make healthier choices in your food without going over budget. Here are a few:
- Buy seasonally. Keep your eyes on the sales ads when it comes to produce. The seasonal items will be on sale. Then, insert one raw fruit and one raw vegetable into your meal plan each day.
- Pick up a bag of Whole Wheat Flour. Whenever a recipe calls for flour, use equal portions of unbleached all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. For instance, 1 cup of flour in a recipe becomes 1/2 cup all purpose and 1/2 cup whole wheat. You will never know the difference!
- Switch to whole wheat pasta. Your fiber gets a tremendous boost and you have only spent about $0.40 more.
- Look for organic store brands. These are becoming easier to find. Winn Dixie has started carrying organic canned vegetables in a store brand.
- Add some beans. Dry (cooked) or canned (rinsed and drained to remove excess sodium) beans are an excellent source of fiber and vitamins and they cost pennies! Sprinkle them on your salads, make some salsa, or serve them on the side. (You would be surprised! My kids will gobbled them up when they won’t eat anything else!)
- Make it from scratch. I know, not as convenient but you know exactly what is going into your food and paying less for it!
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.