On a night when I didn’t have a lot to choose from and was in desperate need of a side dish, I looked at what I had available: mushrooms almost past their prime. A box of wild rice. Hmmm… Inspiration struck.
The key ingredient… a bottle of white wine that Bill had brought home, trying to be a sweetie. However, the bottle only cost a couple of dollars and I would rather eat a shoe than drink it. Yeah, it was bad. However, in this dish, it was magical.
This was extremely simple but insanely good.
Just prepare the onions and mushrooms while the wild rice is cooking. Then, mix the two. Wow.
RECIPE: Caramelized Onions & Mushroom Wild Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion halved and sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix with ingredients to prepare rice
- Prepare the wild rice according to the package directions.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and reduce heat to medium. Allow to brown slightly and then stir in the mushrooms. Saute, stirring only as needed, until the mushrooms have softened and liquid is evaporated.
- Add the white wine and stir in prepared rice. Simmer until the wine has absorbed.
Linked with love at Add a Pinch.
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.