I could eat biscuits daily. Notice that I didn’t say I DO eat biscuits daily. Just wish I could.
My kiddos would eat pancakes daily.
Bill likes a steamy bowl of Chicken & Dumplings.
That’s a lot of mixing. I could get some baking mixes pretty cheap when I stack coupons on top of sales but what exactly is in those small packets of mix? So, I choose to keep a large container of homemade baking mix in my pantry. By using a mixer or large food processor, this master baking mix can come together quickly, leaving you with tons of time for dreaming up different variations or for trying the ones I have listed below.
Homemade Baking Mix for Biscuits, Pancakes & More
- 6 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter vegetable shortening, or coconut oil
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Using a food processor or pastry blender, mix in the shortening until the mix comes to the consistency of coarse sand.
- Stir together 2 1/4 cups homemade baking mix and 2/3 cup milk.
- Turn the mixture out onto a well floured surface and fold the dough over itself about 6 to 8 times.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut using a biscuit cutter.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir together 2 cups of baking mix with 1 1/2 cup milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mixture will be lumpy.
- Use a large scoop to pour batter onto a hot griddle, flipping when bubbles break the top.
For pizza crust:
- Stir 1 1/2 cup baking mix, 1/3 cup hot water, and 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft dough forms. Place on surface lightly sprinkled with additional baking mix; knead until smooth. Press dough into a 12 inch circle. Bake 10 minutes. Finish your pizza as desired. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the crust is golden.
For Rolled Dumplings:
- Mix together 2 1/4 cup baking mix and 2/3 cup milk.Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead just until blended. Roll out flat (to about 1/4 inch) and using a pizza cutter, slice into 1 inch strips about 2 inches long. Use in your favorite soup recipe. Just drop dumplings into boiling broth one at a time and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Buttery Buttermilk Biscuits
Substitute buttermilk for the milk and complete as directed. When done, brush tops with melted butter.
Honey Butter Biscuits
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and whisk together with one tablespoon honey. Brush over the top of biscuits prepared as directed.
Garlic Cheese Biscuits
Mix together 2 cups baking mix, 2/3 cup milk, and 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Bake as directed. Mix together 2 tablespoons butter, melted, and 1 minced clove of garlic. Brush over biscuits as soon as they are done.
Praline Pan Biscuits
From Betty Crocker: In a 9-inch oven-safe skillet, melt 1/3 cup butter and stir together with 1/3 cup packed brown sugar until blended. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup chopped pecans. Mix together 2 cups baking mix, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 cup milk. Follow directions for making biscuits but place on top of sugar mixture instead of a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. When done, carefully invert skillet over a heat-safe plate, allowing syrup to pour over the biscuits.
Substitute buttermilk for the milk. Complete as directed.
Mix 2 cups of baking mix with 1 cup applesauce, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 egg. Follow directions as given for pancakes.
Banana Oatmeal Walnut Pancakes
Mix 2 cups baking mix with 1/2 cup ground oat flour (grind dry oatmeal in a food processor), 1 ripe/mashed banana, 1 egg, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, and 1 to 2 cups milk, depending on how thick you want your batter. Follow directions as given for pancakes.
Blueberry or Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Prepare as directed. Pour batter on the griddle and then sprinkle with fruit or chocolate chips. Flip when bubbles break the surface and cook until golden.
Hot Chocolate Pancakes
Mix 2 cups baking mix, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa, 1 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 eggs. Follow directions as given for pancakes.
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.