If you still have some turkey lurking in your freezer and need a way to use it up, try this hearty and delicious soup packed with protein and flavor.
I put the Spicy Turkey and Rice soup in a large stock pot to cook but you could easily use your crock pot. Just add cooked rice about 15 minutes before serving. If you do not want to add rice, substituting shaped pasta would also be delicious.
RECIPE: Spicy Turkey & Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound white beans partially cooked, drained, and rinsed
- 4 cups [homemade chicken stock|http://www.meetpenny.com/2012/04/recipe-homemade-chicken-stock/]
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces spicy smoked sausage I use Conecuh
- 2 cups cooked turkey chopped
- 2 to 3 cups cooked rice
- Salt to taste
For the crockpot:
- Do not use the olive oil. Place everything in a crock pot except the rice. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir in rice. Heat about 15 minutes and serve.
For the stove top:
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute the vegetables and garlic for three to five minutes until softened.
- Add the beans, broth, water, pepper, turkey, and sausage. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook for about 1 hour until beans are tender.
- Stir in rice and adjust salt to preference. Heat through about 15 minutes. Serve.
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.