One of our family’s favorite children’s books is Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathman. This book becomes a marvelous unit study for young children. With miniature puppets, copywork, matching and memory games, easy color and character matching, it will be great fun and learning for your preschooler, toddler or kindergartner.
Our family happens to have two copies of the book “Goodnight Gorilla” – one for each of our boys. For our unit study, I setup their play table with stuffed animals from the story including a gorilla, elephant, and giraffe.
My boys’ favorite printables from the study were the puppets. We attached our puppets to popsicle sticks, but they can also easily be turned into finger puppets. Puppets can play out various roles in the story. You can also have fun making animal noises or acting out animal movements with the puppets. The key is to be creative and have fun!
I hope you and your family enjoy some imaginative storytelling and play with this Goodnight Gorilla Unit Study Printables. If you have a minute, please stop by and say “hello” on my blog at HappyandBlessedHome.com. I have a few more Goodnight Gorilla goodies for readers who stop over and say “hello”.
Do you have a favorite book or unit study? Leave us a comment – maybe you’ll see it in a future post!
Good Night Gorilla Unit Study Printable Pack
This Goodnight Gorilla Unit Study includes:
- Tracing Cards
- Detailed coloring sheets for every animal in the book
- Flashcards that can be used to increase vocabulary, or create a memory or matching game
- Two pages of copywork with the names of every animal
- Puzzles for matching animal characters and colors
- Puppets that can be used as finger puppets or popsicle stick puppets
To download this printable pack, please complete the form below for access to the Free Printables Library.
More activities for a Good Night, Gorilla unit study
- Good Night Gorilla Book Inspired Activities at Kids Activity Blog
- LEGO Play at Adventure in a Box
- Read with Props at Learning is Messy
- Printable Key Matching Book at Chit Chat and Small Talk
- Shoebox Zoo at StrongStart
- Printable Gorilla Craft at Learn Create Love
- Good Night Gorilla Storyblocks at Sugar Bee Crafts
- Night Zoo Printable Pack at Living WorldsApart
- Animal Cracker Math at Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
- G is for Gorilla Printables at Printables by Spell Outloud
Monica has been blogging at HappyandBlessedHome.com for a little over two years now. She pre-schools her two adorable boys at home. Since she started blogging, she has created over 1,300 pages of free alphabet printables, fun circle time morning board printables, as well as published printable children’s books – all are available online free for subscribers. Monica is an artist at heart and has loved books every since she was a little girl. Her grandfather owned a bookstore and would bring her books even as a toddler. He’d be so proud to see her today – publishing books and printables online.
And a special thanks to Tabitha for inviting me to guest post. Tabitha and I met at a blogging conference and I can just tell ya’ll that she is just as nice in person as she appears on her blog!
Connect with Monica
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.