I have told you about Bill’s love affair with Five Guys and Fries. Remember the Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf? When he gets that urge to go meet with his mistress… errr… I mean cheeseburger, we always end up with a ton of leftover fries. I could toss them in the trash but that would be wasteful. Sometimes, we reheat them in the oven but since I am in the middle of a no-oven summer, I had this strange idea to make a frittata with them.
If you are short on leftover fries, no worries! I think this recipe would work well with frozen hash-browns too.
Fry two strips of bacon until crisp. After you place them on a paper towel to drain, add chopped onions to the bacon renderings.
Meanwhile, coarsely chip your leftover french fries. When the onions are softened, stir in browned ground beef (which I always have in my freezer) and the fries.
Whisk your eggs until well scrambled with the seasonings and milk. Pour evenly over the beef and fry mixture in the skillet. Turn your heat down and cover the skillet until the eggs are set in the middle. If you notice the bottom of the eggs are getting too dark, switch on your broiler for just long enough to heat and slide your skillet into the oven. Watch the eggs closely because this will only take about 5 minutes.
When the eggs are done, sprinkle with chopped tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and cheese. Cover the skillet until the cheese has melted.
Easy and delicious!
RECIPE: Bacon Cheeseburger Frittata with Fries
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 cups leftover french fries or hash-browns coarsely chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 to 2 cups browned ground beef
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 to mato seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp. Set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Add the onion to the skillet with the bacon renderings and cook until softened. Add the fries and ground beef. Heat through.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, and black pepper. Pour evenly over the beef and fries mixture. Cover and allow to cook over medium to medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook until firm in the middle. (Transfer to under the broiler if the bottom is browning too quickly.)
- Remove from heat. Top with chopped tomato, crumbled bacon, and cheese. Cover again until the cheese melts.