As we are nearing the end of July and the pantry challenge I have been putting us through, the ingredients in my pantry and freezer are getting a little sparse. So, after a tour of my food stuffs and a little thought, I created this simple yet filling recipe.
Putting this dish together could not be easier and you do not need a lot of ingredients.
I used a bag of cheese filled tortellini, a cup of frozen peas, 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, five slices of bacon, a clove of garlic, and a poor little tomato that was just about to be compost.
This recipe comes together quickly too.
While waiting for the water for the tortellini to come to a boil, I had the bacon cooking in my grill pan. I melted the butter in a large skillet and allowed it to rest, swirling it around every once in a while until the butter turned brown and smelled nutty. From that point, you are really just tossing things into the pan and dinner is served.
RECIPE: Brown Butter, Peas & Bacon Tortellini
- 1 package cheese-filled tortellini
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 to mato chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions in salted water.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the pan occasionally to ensure that the butter browns evenly. When the butter is brown and smells nutty, stir in pressed garlic.
- Add the peas and tomato to the skillet with 1 ladle of pasta water and heat through.
- Scoop the tortellini into the skillet. Sprinkle with bacon and Parmesan cheese and toss with the sauce.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon.
Tracy @ usingtimewisely.com says
Great idea. My family loves anything with bacon, and kudos for using what you have on hand to stretch your dollars and your creativity.
It has been interesting this month doing a true pantry challenge. I can actually see the bottom of my freezer for the first time in months. 🙂
This looks so, so delicious. It’s going on our menu for next week!
Wonderful, Tracey! Let me know if you like it. 🙂
The Better Baker says
YUM! So delicious and easy….I love anything with browned butter. MMM!
I have a love-hate relationship with butter. Love how it tastes. Hate how it looks on my hips. 😉
This looks great and I was just thinking today I needed to find a recipe for next week to use up some tortellini in the freezer.
I hope you enjoy it, Laura! That tortellini had been in my freezer for much too long. Now, I wish I had another bag!
Sounds so good! I think we’ll try it this weekend. I’ll be sure to come back & share how we liked it. I’m predicting only compliments! 🙂 Thanks.