What a pleasant surprise to find this lovely creation in my freezer!
During a round of freezer cooking one weekend, I prepared this Creamy Chicken and Almond Enchilada casserole and placed it in the deep freeze. A couple of months later when I was checking my stash, the block wrapped in aluminum foil and plastic wrap was tucked away like a nugget of gold under sheets of ice in the tundra. OK… maybe that it s little too poetic but I was as happy as a miner who discovered the mother lode!
RECIPE: Creamy Chicken & Almond Enchiladas
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup almond slivers toasted
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 10 small flour tortillas
- Mix the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, green chilies, and almonds together well.
- Divide the filling equally among the ten tortillas, rolling them up and placing them seam side down in a casserole dish.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with cheese.
- If you choose to freeze the casserole, place wax paper over the cheese and wrap the casserole in aluminum foil and a layer of plastic wrap. Freeze for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 20 to 30 minutes.