A little while back, I was so pleased to receive this amazing gift from Smucker’s.
We are BIG FANS of Smucker’s Strawberry Jam. As a matter of fact, it is the only brand we buy and I am not just saying that because of the awesome present.
Everyone knows that the best way to enjoy Smucker’s Jelly is on a peanut better and jelly sandwich, but I wanted to create something wonderful. Something unique.
As I was putting together my Pork and Peppers Crock Pot Freezer Bag, an idea popped into my head. I had chicken breasts in the freezer and a Hawaiian Chicken Crock Pot Freezer Bag would be awesome.
I placed all of the ingredients (see recipe embeded below) in the gallon-sized freezer bag and then decided to add a layer of flavor with a heaping tablespoon of Smucker’s Orange Marmalade.
The entire bag was placed in the freezer until one day when I needed to toss something into the crock pot quickly before taking the children for check-ups at the doctor. When I opened the deep-freezer, my Hawaiian Chicken Crock Pot Freezer Bag was waiting so patiently to be placed in the slow cooker.
I removed the bag and placed the entire thing into the crock pot, put on the cover, set the cooker to low, and headed out the door. When I returned home, I gave it a quick stir and recovered the crock pot, letting it continue to cook.
At dinner time, I removed the chicken and shredded it. Then, placed it back in the pot. (Note: You could always strain the vegetables and add some cornstarch to the liquid to make a thicker gravy but I left it just like it was.)
We ate the Hawaiian Chicken over white rice and spent the rest of our evening practicing the hula. No, not really.
RECIPE ~ Hawaiian Chicken (Crock Pot Bag)
- 2-3 individually frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- 1 15 ounce can pineapple chunks in juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon Smucker's Orange Marmalade
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch optional
- Place all ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Remove air from the bag and seal tightly. Shake gently.
- Freeze the bag flat until frozen.
- When ready to use, remove ingredients from the bag and place, still frozen, into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours, stirring about halfway. (Bag can be thawed overnight to avoid stirring halfway.)
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return it to the crock pot and stir.
- Optional: Before returning the chicken to the pot, remove one cup of liquid and mix well with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Return the liquid mixture to the crock pot and bump the temperature to high heat. Stir continuously until thickened slightly. Then, add the shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- Serve over rice.
Disclosure: I was given the Smucker’s jellies and jams for promotional purposes. Opinions and the recipe are 100% my own.