I have never been very good with surprises and I really wanted to give you a sneak peek into the new Weekend Potluck Fall Favorites eCookbook that will be available on Friday. So, I am sharing one of my recipes from the cookbook collection with you today.
Pecan Caramel Apple Bread Pudding is awesome because it gives me a way to use up all those bread ends I have bagged in my freezer. I just cut them up into tiny bits using a serrated bread knife. No thawing necessary.
The recipe might take a couple of steps: dicing the bread and apple, mixing the simple syrup, whisking the eggs… but the results are worth the effort. And, honestly, the effort isn’t much of a hardship.
You can serve this Pecan Caramel Apple Bread Pudding with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for dessert or with warm maple syrup for breakfast because it tastes so much like french toast. Maybe I should have named it French Toast Casserole?
Now, you might consider this cruel and unusual punishment since I am wetting your appetite for all the delicious fall flavors waiting inside our new Weekend Potluck Fall Favorites eCookbook. I promise, Friday will be here before you know it.
RECIPE: Pecan Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- 8 bread end pieces frozen and cut into tiny cubes (about 7 cups)
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 granny smith apple cored and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup water hot
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk warm
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place bread in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with the pecans and apple pieces. Using your fingers, gently distribute the fruit evenly among the bread.
- Whisk together the water and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the sugar water over the bread.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, mixing well and then pour the mixture over bread, making sure to soak everything evenly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired.