I love stuffed bell peppers but with a large family and peppers at almost $1 a piece, we cannot afford to indulge very often. Recently, Brandie over at The Country Cook posted Stuffed Pepper Soup and I was inspired.
We do not use canned soup (if possible), we have more people to feed, and I wanted something I could use as a freezer to crock pot recipe, so I made some changes. The result was a rich and hearty soup that sent Bill into a blissful state.
Recipe ~ Stuffed Pepper Soup (Freezer Bag: Crock Pot or Not)
- 3 cups ground beef or turkey browned and drained
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced (optional)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 can 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 can 10 ounces tomato paste
- 4 cups [homemade chicken stock|https://www.meetpenny.com/2012/04/recipe-homemade-chicken-stock/]
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 cups brown rice cooked
- Sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Combine everything but the rice and cheese into a zip-top freezer bag. Freeze.
For the crock pot:
- When ready to prepare, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Dump the contents of the bag into the crock pot and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir in rice and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
For the stove top:
- Place frozen contents of bag into a large stock pot. Heat until melted and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese.
Free Diligence Lesson
Subscribe and receive my free diligence lesson plan with printable wall pages by email.